Davis Wright Tremaine
Litigation Legal Secretary
Los Angeles, CA
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, an AmLaw 100 firm, is seeking a proactive Legal Secretary to join our team in Los Angeles.
Litigation Legal Secretaries are business partners to our attorneys and streamline administrative processes to support the practice.
In this role, youll own non-billable work. This includes including typing, editing and/or formatting legal documents and correspondence, filing documents with various courts, both electronically and via messenger, arranging for service of documents on opposing counsel, telephone communications with clients and business contacts, inputting attorney time, paper and electronic file maintenance, calendar and contacts maintenance, coordinating travel arrangements, preparing reimbursement forms and other tasks as assigned.
This role offers flexibility - three days a week in the office, two days remote (subject to client and practice need).
On a typical day you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents under time-sensitive deadlines; some pleading drafting; conversion of both paper and electronic files to pdf format
- Heavy court filings including service of pleadings on opposing and associated counsel, at state, federal, and appellate level and in many different venues
- Run conflicts and open new client and new matter files
- Maintain attorney and client files, both paper and electronic formats.
- Maintain email and case management system electronic files
- Organize and maintain binders for trial, working papers, and business development purposes
- Schedule remote hearing and deposition appearances, in-person depositions, appointments, meetings; maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls
- Open and route mail and email, attaching files and documents; save to case management system
- Track litigation deadlines, provide deadlines to docketing and confirm deadlines are docketed correctly
- Answer, screen and respond to phone calls
- Enter attorney time into time-keeping program
- Maintain and track CLE records for attorneys
- Prepare and submit expense/reimbursement reports and vendor invoices
- Process and edit prebills
- Assist fellow secretaries and additional attorneys as needed
Join us if you have:
- 5+ years experience as a litigation secretary
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 85 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Power PDF/Adobe Acrobat required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs preferred; ability to perform internet research
- Demonstrated experience filing documents with State and Federal Courts, including electronic filing. Ability to read and understand court rules, including rules for courts you have not worked with before, and to ensure compliance with assigned judges Individual Rules and Practices
- Demonstrated experience with 9th Circuit and California Appellate Courts, preferred
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential and sensitive materials
- High level of energy
- Very fast paced desk and attorneys; ability to prioritize on a constant and high-level basis and to handle multiple demands from multiple people
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- Excellent transcription, grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Ability to communicate by telephone in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines
- Ability to read and write in English
- High School Diploma or GED, Bachelors degree preferred
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each clients and each lawyers work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.Whats in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine-central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals-including those from traditionally underrepresented populations-can have, and can see, a path to success. We are committed to fostering DEI because it makes our firm better, in every way. At DWT, every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employees sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please contact email@example.com.